Saturday, October 10, 2015

Heroes Need Capes...

Hello Buddies-

I must say the beginning of the year in third grade is very much like the beginning of the year in fifth grade.  How you ask?

  • Routines, routines, routines!
  • No one has the stamina for anything- Me included!
  • Assessments! Assessments! Assessments!
  • Behavior reminders: walk quietly in hall, push in chair, don't talk while I'm talking-it's like they've never been in a classroom before. LOL
  • Organizing supplies
  • And MILLIONS of reminders!
Basically it's exactly the same, just with a smaller audience. 

However, one thing that is different is their "no holds back" enthusiasm. In continuing with our Superhero theme I read the class "Dex, The Heart of a Hero". It's an adorable story about a small dog who is ridiculed by others but works very hard to be a hero. In the end, he realizes he is a hero already but just needed a hero costume. 

I knew I wanted hero capes for my class so I went on over to Pinterest and found a great link on how to turn large adult t-shirts into superhero capes for kids. 

Earlier in the week we designed superhero logos and I attached them to the capes.  After reading Dex I gave the kids their capes and called them by their superhero identities.  The kids were OVER THE MOON and super appreciative of their capes. 
Don't they look super heroic?




After a quick photoshoot I knew we needed to MOVE, so we went on hero patrol to make sure the halls of our school were safe and topping our heroic behavior.  




Thankfully my good friend Kelly (and the quieter half of this blog) has her classroom as far away from mine as humanly possible and I knew she wouldn't mind us crashing her room with only a few minutes left to the day. 

This was a VERY cool day and now we have our capes to wear whenever we need a little extra courage. There were certainly quite a few "this was the best day ever" mumbles as I dismissed my kids that afternoon!

Have a SUPER day!
Damien 

No comments:

Post a Comment