Monday, August 12, 2013

Teacher Week 2013-It's all About Me!

Hello Buddies-

I love a good linky and am joining Blog Hoppin' for Teacher Week 2013.  I'll do my best to keep up!

Here's the top 10 things you never knew you needed to know about Damien!

10. I am a HUGE Disney fan.  I think it runs in my blood.  I can recite almost every word from any film and can bust out a Disney song with a moments notice (sometime no one even asks me to, it just happens).  We visit Disney often as a family. Most recently the family, cousins, and uncles went to Disney for Christmas. 

Here's my family-with cousins and an uncle in our matching Mickey t-shirts.
They were my idea and, though grumbling at first, they all played along.
9. I do nothing low key!  My parents have pretty much set the standard for over the top and I tend to follow in their footsteps.  Some examples:
-Why only have one REAL Christmas tree when you can have five (plus 1artificial one in my classroom)?
-I LOVE Halloween and bring pumpkins into my classroom for a two week Math and Science study that ends with Jack O'Lanterns. 
-I host family/friend movie nights in may backyard complete with themed food and decorations.
...And there are more. 

My classroom "over the top" nature includes hand painted Hogwarts curtains. 


8. I LOVE the snow.  I know people don't usually love the winter, but I enjoy heading out in the snow each time it snows.  Sledding-check!  Snowman building-check!  

Me, the doggies, and my brother outside in the snow!
7. If you have read this blog before this isn't something new, but I am a HUGE Harry Potter fan! I LOVE the books! I LOVE the movies! I LOVE the theme park! and even went to London over Easter Break to tour the Harry Potter Studios Tour.  I literally went to Hogwarts-how cool is that!


6. Speaking of London! I LOVE (most of) the people I work with.  My co-teacher and gym teacher were part of my London adventure.  Kelly my blog buddy lives around the corner and I love hanging out with her, grabbing blackberry sangria or chocolate fondue at our fave spots.  They make work fun and are a great group to be around. 

Kelly and I serving Ices at a school fundraiser 
My co-teacher and I as Patch and Nanny when our school did
101 Dalmatians as our Halloween theme.
5.  I can't function without noise in the background.  I need music or TV noise while I read.  I put the TV on to go to bed. I have my I-pod in my classroom for when I am working and the kids have left.  Without noise my mind wanders and I can't get anything done.  I am sure a therapist could track down my issues to something that happened when I was two, but I just prefer to have the noise around me.

4. I am a true dog person.  Until recently I had three dogs: a black German Shephard (who passed away), a tan Sheephearding Retriever mix, and a black and gold Hound.  I love my dogs!




3. I love going to the movies.  There is something about that big screen, the popcorn, the soda, and that moment before the movie starts that I love.  I will see almost anything.  I've sat through Twilight 2 with Kelly when we were unofficially supervising her daughter and most recently took my little cousin to Smurfs 2.  I love going to the movies and will usually do see anything!


2. I hate teaching Science.  I know many people love it, and it's hands on, and blah blah blah!  I hate it. My theory is, if I can teach you to read and problem solve in math then you are able to do any science experiment that you'd like.  It's my least favorite subject to teach no matter how I try to embrace it.  Social Studies is a close second.  If you can read, then you are able to read about any historic event your heart desires.  My heart doesn't desire to read about any of them.  

1. I was always told to leave your audience wanting more. So...

-Damien 

2 comments:

  1. Your post just made me smile bigtime! I'm so glad I found this post through Blog Hoppin'! Have a fabulous year!

    Courtney
    Sweet in Seventh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's always great to meet new friends!
      I can't wait to head over and check out your blog.
      -Damien

      Delete